Sarah L. Morgan, M.D., R.D., FADA, FACP, CCD
Division Director, Clinical Nutrition & Dietetics, Department of Medicine
Sub - Specialty
- Nutrition Sciences
- (205) 934-9999
Primary Clinic Location
- The Kirklin Clinic of UAB Hospital
2000 6th Avenue SouthBirmingham, AL 35233
Education and Training
- University of Iowa School Of Medicine
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
- 1981 - 1982
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
- 1982 - 1984
- University of Alabama at Birmingham
- 1984 - 1986
- B.S.-Clinical Dietetics and Nutrition and Related Scicences, Iowa State University, Ames, IA
- American Board of Internal Medicine 1984
- American Board of Nutrition 1986
- Certified Clinical Densitometrist, The International Society for Clinical Densitometry 1986
Locations and Directions
General nutrition, nutrition in rheumatoid arthritis, nutritional support and osteoporosis.
1. Morgan SL, Welshman IR, and Burns CP. "Regulation of cholesterol synthesis in L1210 murine leukemia cells by dietary cholesterol". Europ J Cancer; 16: 1321-27, 1980.
2. Morgan SL. Eating by the book. Al J Med Sci; 24: 446-51, 1987.
3. Morgan SL, Baggott JE, Altz-Smith M. Folate status of rheumatoid arthritis patients on long-term, low-dose methotrexate therapy. Arthritis Rheum; 30: 1348-56, 1987.
4. Morgan SL, Weinsier RL, Boker JR, Brooks CM, Feldman EB, Read MS. A comparison of nutrition knowledge of freshman and senior medical students. J Am Coll Nutr; 7: 193-7,1987.
5. Morgan SL. Rational Weight Loss Programs: A Clinician's Guide. J Am Coll Nutr; 8: 186-194, 1987.
6. Baggott JE, Thompson G, Morgan SL. Diet-medication-arthritis. Arthritis Today; 29: 3-4, 1988.
7. Weinsier RL, Boker JR, Morgan SL, Feldman EB, Moinuddin JF, Mamel JJ, DiGirolamo M, Borum PR, Read MS, Brooks CM. A cross-sectional study of nutrition knowledge and attitudes of medical students at three points in their medical training at eleven Southeastern medical schools. Am J Clin Nutr; 48: 1-6, 1988.
8. Morgan SL. What we have learned about medical education from the SERMEN network. Food and Nutrition News; 60: 10-11, 1988.
9. Morgan SL, Weinsier RL, Boker JR, Brooks CM. Nutrition education of medical students: Evaluation of the relative contribution of freshman courses in biochemistry and nutrition to performance on a standardized examination in nutrition. Nutrition International; 5: 31-36, 1989.
10. Feldman EB, Borum PR, DiGirolamo M, Feldman DS, Greene JM, Leonard SB, Morgan SL, Moinuddin JF, Read MS, Weinsier RL. The creation of a regional medical nutrition education network. Am J Clin Nutr; 49:1-16, 1989.
11. Morgan, SL. Registered dietitians: Assuming a more active role in medical education. Top Clin Nutr, 5: 18-23, 1990.
12. Morgan SL, Baggott JE, Vaughn WH, Young PK, Austin JV, Krumdieck CL, Alarcón GS. The effect of folic acid supplementation on the toxicity of low-dose methotrexate treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 33: 9-18, 1990.
13. Morgan SL, Wooldridge N. Nutrition: Your passport to good health-An Innovative Luncheon. J Nutr Ed 22:104A, 1990.
14. Morgan SL, Merritt RJ, Jackson JR, Brooks CM, Rombeau J. Biennial survey of clinical nutrition training programs. Am J Clin Nutr, 52: 29-38, 1990.
15. Hine RJ, Everson MP, Hardin JM, Morgan SL, Alarcón GS, Baggott JE, Koopman WJ, and Krumdieck CL. Methotrexate therapy in rheumatoid arthritis patients diminishes lectin-induced mononuclear cell proliferation. Rheumatology International, 10: 165-169, 1990.
16. Ha TS, Morgan SL, Vaughn WH, Eto I, Baggott JE. Detection of inhibition of 5-aminoimidazole-4-carboxamide ribotide transformylase by thioinosinic acid and azathioprine by a new colorimetric assay. Biochem J 272: 339-342, 1990.
17. Morgan SL, Baggott JE, Refsum H, Ueland PM. Homocysteine levels in rheumatoid arthritis patients treated with low-dose methotrexate. Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 50: 547-556, 1991.
18. Morgan SL. "U R What U Eat". J Nutr Ed, 23:308D, 1991.
19. Baggott JE, Morgan SL, Ha TS, Vaughn WH, Hine RJ. Inhibition of folate-dependent enzymes by non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Biochem J 282: 197-202, 1992.
20. Baggott JE, Morgan SL, Freeberg L, Hudson B, Vaughn WH, Nair MG, Krumdieck CL, Koopman WJ, Guy R. Long-term treatment of the mrl/lpr mouse with methotrexate and 10-deaza-aminopterin, Agents and Actions 1/2: 104-111, 1992.
21. Morgan SL, Wooldridge NH, Boker JR, Lazarus K, Epps L, Armour BH, Heimburger DC, Brooks CM. A meal conference format to teach ambulatory nutrition concepts. J Cancer Ed 7: 131-137, 1992.
22. Gamble KE, Morgan SL, Bartolucci AA, Weinsier RL. Hospital associated malnutrition: A re-evaluation twelve years later. J Am Diet Assoc 93: 27-33, 1993.
23. Morgan SL, Hine RJ, Vaughn WH, Brown A. Dietary intake and circulating vitamin levels of rheumatoid arthritis patients treated with methotrexate. Arthritis Care Res 6: 4-10, 1993.
24. Thompson G, Morgan SL. Multiple vitamin classification and prescription., Hosp Pharm 28: 36-41, : 1993.
25. Rominger MB, Bernreuter WK, Kennery PJ, Morgan SL, Blackburn WD, Alarcón GS. MR Imaging of the hands in early rheumatoid arthritis: Preliminary results. Radiographics 13: 37-46, 1993.
26. Morgan SL, Baggott JE, Alarcón GS. Combination therapy of methotrexate and sulfasalazine: Is it worth the risk? Arthritis Rheum 36: 281-282, 1993.
27. Morgan SL, Alarcón GS, Krumdieck CL. Folic acid supplementation during methotrexate (MTX) therapy: IT MAKES SENSE, J Rheumatol, 6: 929-930, 1993.
28. Baggott JE, Morgan SL, Ha TS, Alarcón GS, Koopman WJ, Krumdieck CL. Antifolates in rheumatoid arthritis: a hypothetical mechanism of action. Clin Exp Rheum 11: 101-105, 1993.
29. Cornwell PE, Morgan SL, Vaughn WH. Modification of a high-performance liquid chromatographic method for assay of homocysteine in human plasma. J Chromatography 617: 136-139, 1993.
30. Morgan SL, Baggott JE, Koopman WJ, Krumdieck CL, Alarcón GS. Folate supplementation and methotrexate. Ann Rheum 52: 315, 1993.
31. Baggott JE, Morgan SL, Vaughn WH. Differences in methotrexate and 7-hydroxymethotrexate inhibition of folate-dependent enzymes of purine nucleotide biosynthesis. Biochem J, 300: 627-629, 1994.
32. Morgan SL, Baggott JE, Vaughn WH, Austin JS, Veitch TA, Lee JY, Koopman WJ, Krumdieck CL, Alarcón GS. Supplementation with folic acid during methotrexate therapy of rheumatoid arthritis: results from a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Ann Intern Med 121: 833-841, 1994.
33. Gulko P, Tracy IC, Baum SK, Hsu W, Morgan SL, Alarcón GS. Practice patterns in the use of supplemental folic acid in rheumatoid arthritis patients treated with methotrexate. Rev Bras Reumatol 34: 235-238, 1994.
34. Morgan SL. Identification of indicators for improving the diagnosis of malnutrition. Nutrition 11: 202-4, 1995.
35. Sandoval DM, Alarcón GS, Morgan SL. Adverse events in methotrexate-treated rheumatoid arthritis patients. Br J Rheumatol 34: 49-56, 1995.
36. Baggott JE, Johanning GL, Branham KE, Prince CW, Morgan SL, Eto I, Vaughn WH. Cofactor role for 10-formyldihydrofolic acid. Biochemical Journal 308: 1031-6, 1995.
37. ChrisAnderson DA, Heimburger DH, Morgan SL, Geels WJ, Henry KL, Conner W, Hensrud DD, Thompson G, Weinsier RL. Metabolic complications of total parenteral nutrition: Effects of nutrition support service. JPEN 20: 206-210, 1996.
38. Aranda-Michel J, Morgan SL. Overfeeding in a patient with kwashiorkor syndrome. Nutrition 12:623-625, 1996.
39. Hark LA, Iwamoto C, Melnick DE, Young EA, Morgan SL, Kushner R, and Hensrud DD. Nutrition coverage on medical licensing examinations in the United States. Am J Clin Nutr 65: 568 - 71, 1997.
40. Morgan SL, Anderson AM, Hood SM, Matthews PA, Lee JY, Alarcón GS. Nutrient intake patterns, body mass index, and vitamin levels in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Care and Research 10: 9 - 17, 1997.
41. Morgan SL, Vaughn WH, Thompson G, Hsu CC, Hardin M. The use of an enteral expert system in the prescription of enteral formulas in a University hospital. Nutrition 13: 196-201, 1997.
42. Morgan SL, Baggott JE, Alarcón GS. Methotrexate in rheumatoid arthritis. Folate supplementation should always be given. BioDrugs 8: 164-175, 1997.
43. Tamura T, Bergman SM, Morgan SL. Hyperhomocysteinemia as a cause of vascular thrombosis in patients with end-stage-renal disease. Int J for Artif Organs 21:72-74, 1998.
44. Morgan SL, Baggott JE, Lee JY, Alarcón GS. Folic acid supplementation prevents deficient blood folate levels and hyperhomocysteinemia during long-term, low dose methotrexate therapy for rheumatoid arthritis: Implications for cardiovascular disease prevention. J Rheumatol 25: 441-446, 1998.
45. Baggott JE, Morgan SL, Koopman WJ. The effect of methotrexate and 7-OH methotrexate on rat adjuvant arthritis and on urinary aminoimidazole carboxamide excretion. Arthritis Rheum 41: 1407-1410, 1998.
46. Tamura T, Bergman SM, Morgan SL. Homocysteine, B vitamins, and vascular-access thrombosis in patients treated with hemodialysis. Am J Kidney Diseases 32:475-481, 1998.
47. Baggott JE. Morgan SL. Sams WM. Linden J. Urinary adenosine and aminoimidazolecarboxamide excretion in methotrexate-treated patients with psoriasis. Archives of Dermatology. 135(7): 813-7, 1999 .
48. Smith B, Morgan SL, Vaughn WH, Fox L, Canfield G, Bartolucci AA. Comparison of a computer-based food frequency questionnaire for calcium intake with two other assessment tools, J Am Diet Assoc 89(12): 1579-81, 1999.
49. ChathamWW, Morgan SL, Alarcón GS. Renal failure: a risk factor for methotrexate toxicity. Arthritis Rheum 43: 1185-1186, 2000.
50. Peel C, Lein D, Kitchin B, Morgan S. “Tone your bones”: A model for health education for older adults. Journal of Physical Therapy Education 15: 23-28, 2001.
51. Morgan SL, Baggott JE, Alarcon GS, Bernreuter W, Arani R. Separation of inflammation and destructive response – MTX affects inflammation and tissue destruction different in the rat AA model, J Rheumatol 28: 1476-81, 2001.
52. Morgan SL. Calcium and vitamin D in osteoporosis. Menopause Digest 14: 15-16, 2002.
53. Fox, RI, Morgan SL, Smith HT, Robbins BA, Choc MG, Baggott JE. Combined oral cyclosporine and methotrexate therapy in patients with rheumatoid arthritis elevates methotrexate levels and reduces 7-hydroxymethotrexate levels when compared with methotrexate alone. Rheumatology 42: 989-94, 2003.
54. Goodson T, Morgan SL, Carlee JR, Baggott JE. The energy cost of adjuvant-induced arthritis in rats. Arthritis Rheum 48: 2979-2982, 2003.
55. Kitchin B, and Morgan SL. Nutritional considerations in osteoporosis. Current Opinion Rheumatol 15: 476-480, 2003.
56. Morgan SL, Abercrombie W, Lee JY. Need for precision studies at individual institutions and assessment of size of regions of interest on serial DXA scans. J Clin Densitometry, 6: 97-101, 2003.
57. Morgan SL, Chen DS, Carlee J, Baggott JE. Effect of methotrexate on bone mineral density and body composition in rat adjuvant arthritis. J Rheumatol 31a;1693-7, 2004.
58. Morgan SL, Oster RA, Lee JY, Alarcón GS, Baggott JE. The effect of folic acid and folinic acid supplements on purine metabolism in methotrexate-treated rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 50:3104-3111, 2004.
59. Baggott JE, Bridges SL, Morgan SL. Evidence for two phenotypes in the metabolism of methotrexate to 7-hydroxymethotrexate in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 52: 356-358, 2005.
60. Morgan SL, Strong DC, Kitchin EM, Johnston KE, DiSilverstro Ra, Tamura T. Zinc status of women with low bone mineral density who receive calcium supplements. Biological Trace Element Research 110: 211-222, 2006.
61. Morgan SL, Lopez-Ben, R, Nunnally N, Burroughs L, Desmond R. Nonprogression of vertebral area or bone mineral content does not predict compression fractures. J Clinical Densitometry 9: 261-264, 2006.
62. Hughes LB, Beasley TM, Patel H, Tiwari HK, Morgan SL, Baggott JE, Saag KG, McNicholl J, Moreland LW, Alarcon GS, Bridges SL Jr. Racial or ethnic differences in allele frequencies of single-nucleotide polymorphisms in the methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase gene and their influence on response to methotrexate in rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis 9: 1121-3, 2006.
63. Morgan SL, Baggott JE. Medical Foods: Products for the Management of Chronic Diseases. Nutrition Reviews 64: 495-501, 2006.
64. Baggott JE, Morgan SL. Methotrexate and erythro-9-(2-hydroxynon-3-yl) adenine therapy for rat adjuvant arthritis and the effect of methotrexate on in vivo purine metabolism. Euro J Pharm Sci 31: 95-101, 2007.
65. Kitchin B, Morgan SL. Not just calcium and vitamin D: other nutritional considerations in osteoporosis. Curr Rheumatol Rep 9: 85-92, 2007.
66. Baggott JE, Gorman GS, Morgan SL, Tamura T. 13C-enrichment at carbons 8 and 2 of uric acid after 13C-labeled folate dose in man. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 361:307-310, 2007.
67. Morgan SL, Lopez-Ben R, Nunnally N, Burroughs L, Fineberg N, Tubbs SH, Yester MV. “Black hole artifacts”: a New Potential Pitfall for DXA Accuracy, J Clin Densitometry 11:266-275, 2008.
68. Morgan SL, Lopez-Ben R, Nunnally N, Burroughs L, Fineberg N, Tubbs SH, Yester MV. The effect of common artifacts lateral to the spine on bone mineral density in the lumbar spine. J Clin Densitometry,11:243-249, 2008.
69. Morgan SL, Kitchin B. Handy tools for detection, helpful tips for treatment. J Family Practice 57: 311-320, 2008.
70. Mann ML, Thornley-Brown D, Campbell R, Bell E, Feng R, Morgan SL. The effect of peritoneal dialysate on DXA bone densitometry results in patients with end-stage renal disease. J Clin Densitom 11:532-6, 2008.
71. Baggott JE, Morgan SL, Folic acid supplements are good (not bad) for rheumatoid arthritis patients treated with low-dose methotrexate. Am J Clin Nutr88:479-80, 2008.
72. Shepard JA, Morgan SL, Lu Y. Comparing BMD results between two similar DXA systems using the generalized least significant change. J Clin Densitometry 11:237-42, 2008.
73. Khan MA, Morgan SL. Tone the bone of your chronic liver disease patients. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 7:814-5, 2009.
74. Morgan SL, Baggott JE, Moreland L, Desmond R, Kendrach AC. The safety of flavocoxid, a medical food, in the dietary management of knee osteoarthritis. J Medicinal Food 12: 1143-1148, 2009.
75. Baggott JE, Morgan SL. Methotrexate catabolism to 7-hydroxymethotrexate in rheumatoid arthritis alters drug efficacy and retention and is reduced by folic acid supplementation. Arthritis Rheum 60:2257-2261, 2009.
76. Morgan SL. Nutrition and bone: it is more than calcium and vitamin D. Women’s Health 5: 727-737, 2009.
77. Danila MI, Hughes LB, Brown EE, Morgan SL, Baggott JE, Arnett DK, Bridges SL Jr Measurement of erythrocyte methotrexate polyglutamate levels: ready for clinical use in rheumatoid arthritis? Curr Rheumatol Rep 12: 342-7, 2010.
78. Hamdy RC, Baim S, Broy SB, Lewiecki EM, Morgan SL, Tanner, SB, Willialmson HF. Southern Medical Association algorithm for the management of osteoporosis. South Med J 103: 1009-15, 2010.
79. Binkley N, Krueger DC, Morgan S, Wiebe D. Current status of clinical 25-hydroxyvitamin D measurement: An assessment of between-laboratory agreement. Clin Chim Acata 13: 283-91. 2010.
80. Morgan SL, Baggott JE. Folate supplementation during methotrexate therapy for rheumatoid arthritis. Clin Exp Rheumatol 28 (Suppl 61): S102-106, 2010.
81. Morgan SL, Peace F, Lopez-Ben R, Fineberg N. Distribution of Z-scores in a University cohort with an emphasis on “high” bone mineral density. J Clin Densitom 13: 385-91, 2010.
82. Pitt MJ, Morgan SL, Lopez-Ben R, Stellman RE, Nunnally N, Burroughs L, Fineberg N. Association of the presence of bone bars on radiographs and low bone mineral density. Skeletal Radiol 40: 905-11, 2011.
83. O’Malley CD, Johnston, SS, Lenhart G, Cherkowski G, Palmer L, Morgan SL. Trends in dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry in the United States 2000-2009. J Clinical Densitometry 14: 100-107, 2011.
84. Kiebzak GM, Morgan SL. Long-term vs. short-term precision of dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry scans and the impact of interpreting change in bone mineral density at follow-up. J Clinical Densitometry 14: 108-115, 2011.
85. Soleymani T, Tejavanija S, Morgan SL. Obesity, bariatric surgery, and bone. Curr Opin Rhematol 23: 396-405, 2011.
86. Baggott JE, Gorman GS, Morgan SL. Phenotypes and circadian rhythm in utilization of formate in purine nucleotide biosynthesis de novo in adult humans. Life Sci 88: 688-692, 2011.
87. Lewiecki EM, Bilezikian JP, Jankowski LG, McCloskey EV, Miller PD, Morgan SL, Orwoll ES, Potts JT Jr. Proceedings of the 2011 Santa Fe symposium. J Clin Densitom 15: 1-20, 2012.
88. Kiebzak GM, Morgan SL, Peace F. Which to use to evaluate change in BMD at follow-up: RMS-SD or RMS-%CV? J Clin Densitom 15: 26-31, 2012.
- Folic acid and methotrexate metabolism in rheumatoid arthritis
- Bone densitometry
- Osteoporosis and bone densitometry(I have done consumer talks related to ostoeporosis in the past)
Attention UAB Physicians
If you are a physician on the UAB medical staff and would like to modify your profile, please e-mail your changes to the program administratorUpdate Profile