Jason A. Lowe, M.D.
Assistant Professor Orthopaedic Trauma Surgery, University of Alabama, Birmingham
Director Fragility Fracture Program, University of Alabama, Birmingham
Sub - Specialty
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- (205) 934-9999
Primary Clinic Location
- UAB Highlands
1201 11th Avenue SouthBirmingham, AL 35205
Education and Training
- University of Miami School of Medicine
- 2000 - 2004
- University of Missouri Hospital & Clinics-General Surgery
- 2004 - 2005
- Orthopaedic Resident Physician-University of Missouri Hospital & Clinics
- 2005 - 2009
- University of California - Davis
- 2009 - 2010
- Methods of Ilizarov-Lecco, Italy
- Health Volunteers Overseas-OREF Traveling Fellow-Whenzou, China
- State of Missouri Medical License
- State of California Medical License
- State of Alabama Medical License
- AO North America
- American Orthopaedic Association
- Orthopaedic Trauma Association
- Project Medishare
- Health Volunteers Overseas
- American Medical Association
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Missouri State Orthopaedic Association
- Orthopaedic Research Society
- Outstanding Community Service Award-University of Miami School of Medicine, May 2004
- Orthopaedic Trauma Association-Travel Scholarship, March 2007
- Barry J. Gainor MD-Resident Award in Education-University of Missuori, May 2008
- Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma/Synthes-Top Resident Educator, May 2008
- AOA-OREF Zimmer Resident Leadership Forum Member, June 2008
- AONA Resident Course Scholarship, February 2009
- Barry J. Gainor MD-Resident Award in Education-University of Missouri, May 2009
- Steve Olsen MD-Resident Research Award-University of Missouri, May 2009
Locations and Directions
Dr. Lowe specializes in management of orthopaedic fractures. While he treats all fractures he primary focus is on fracture of the pelvis, acetabulum, complex intra-articular fractures, geriatric fractures. In addition Dr. Lowe has a special interest in the management of nonunion and malunions.
Publications in Print
1. Lowe J, Min W, Lee M, Wolinsky P. Risk of Injury to the Superior Gluteal nerve
When Using a Proximal Incision for Insertion of a Piriformis-entry Reamed
Femoral Intramedullary Nail: A Cadaveric Study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. Aug
2. Lowe J, Vosburg C, Crist B. A New Technique for Removing Intramedullary Cement. J Orthop Trauma. Dec 2012; 25(12):762-6.
3. Lowe J, Tejwani N, Yoo B, Wolinsky P. Surgical Techniques for Complex Proximal Tibia Fractures. Instr Course Lect. 2012;61:39-51
4. Stewart R, Lowe J. Ankle Fractures. Masters Technique in Orthopaedic Surgery-Fractures, Wiss(eds.). New York: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2010
5. Lowe JA, Crist BD, Bhandari M, Ferguson TA. Optimal treatment of femoral neck fractures according to patient’s physiologic age: an evidence-based review. Orthopedic Clinics of North America. Apr 2010, 41(2):157-66
6. Lowe J, Della-Rocca G, Murtha Y, Liporace F, Stover M, Nork S, Crist B. Complications Associated with Negative Pressure Reaming for Harvesting Autologous Bone Graft: Case Series. Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. 2010 24(1):46-52.
7. Huang YX, Lin LZ, Lowe JA, Wang XY, XU HZ, Teng YJ, Zhang HZ, Chi YL. Three-dimensional Reconstruction of the Superior Mediastinum from Chinese Visible Human Female. Surgical and Radiologic Anatomy Feb 2010
8. Bal BS, Lowe JA, E Gietler A, Aleto TJ. Heterotopic ossification after 2-incision total hip arthroplasty. Journal of Arthroplasty. 25(4):538-40, Jun 2010.
9. Lowe J, Crist BD. Bone Graft Harvest Using a New Intramedullary System. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 467(10):2749, 2009
10. Crist BD, Lowe J, Neiman R, Hak DJ. Use of a Quick Connect Drill Adapter as an Intraoperative File. Current Orthopaedic Practice 19(6):691-692, 2008.
11. Bal BS, Lowe J, Hillard A. "Muscle Damage in Minimally Invasive Total Hip Replacement: MRI Evidence that it is Not Significant." Instructional Course Lectures. 57:223-229, Jan 2008
12. Bal BS, Greenberg DD, Lowe J, Aleto, TJ. Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty Performed With a Minimally Invasive Surgery Subvastus Approach. Techniques in Knee Surgery. 6(1):60-67, March 2007.
Publications in Editing
1. Lowe J, Wolinsky P. A Technique for Easier, yet Safe, Percutaneous Passage of Antero-lateral Distal Tibia Plates. Submitted JOT
2. Lowe J, Yoo B, Wolinsky P. Antegrade Femoral Intramedullary Nail Insertion Sites: Myths and Truths- A Review of the Literature. Submitted JOT
3. Lowe J, Della-Rocca G, Murtha Y, Carson W, Crist B. Effect of Negative Pressure Reaming for Autologous Bone Graft in Osteoporotic and Non-Osteoporotic Femurs.
4. Lowe J, Della-Rocca G, Murtha Y, Crist B. Radiographic Measurements and Clinical decisions: How accurate are we?
1. The Effect of Intramedullary Bone Graft Harvesting on Torsional Strength in
Normal and Osteoporotic Femurs. OTA October 2011
2. The Effect of Intramedullary Bone Graft Harvesting on Torsional Strength in
Normal and Osteoporotic Femurs. AONA November 2010
3. Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty Performed With a Minimally Invasive Surgery Subvastus Approach. Techniques in Knee Surgery. Southern Orthopaedic Association Annual Meeting. July 2006
4. Incidence of Heterotopic Ossification in the Two-Incision Total Hip Arthroplasty. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting. February 2007
5. Muscle Damage in Minimally Invasive Total Hip Replacement: MRI Evidence that it is Not Significant. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting. February 2007
6. Incidence of Heterotpic Ossification in the Two-Incision Total Hip Arthroplasty. Mid-America Orthopaedic Association Annual Meeting. April 2007
1. Quellette, EA, Latta L, Biedermann, M, Milne E, Kaimrajh D, Lowe J, Makowski
AL, Herndon E, Kam C, Sawardeker PJ, Elliott, W. “The Role of Soft Tissue in Rigidity of Fracture Fixation of Upper Extremities; application for battlefield use”. American Association for Hand Surgery/Argentine Association of Hand Surgery Annual Meeting. January 2013
1. Optimization of C-Arm Positioning To Support Safe Screw Placement in Humeral Head. Stryker 2012 - $39, 954.77
2. Mini-Fragment Fixation of Clavicle Fractures: A Biomechanical Study. Synthes 2012 - $74,212
3. The Role of Soft Tissue in Fracture Fixation Stability of Upper and Lower Extremity”. Department of Army, (USAMRAA). Peer Reviewed Orthopedic Research Program Hypothesis Development Award – September 2010 – September 2012 - $90,000.
4. Development of a Fragility Fracture Center, University of Alabama Health Services Foundation -$204,400
5. Prospective Randomized Trial of Standard Wound Care vs Standard Wound Care Plus Shockwave Therapy for Traumatic Wounds of the Extremity. Department of Defense-$375,874
6. Incisional Vacuum Assisted (IVAC) Device and its Effect on Implanted Bone Morphogenic Protein (BMP-2). Medtronic Corporate Grant- $65,503
7. Effect of Reaming the Femur for Bone Graft: A Biomechanical Study of Osteoporotic and Non-Osteoporotic Bone. \Synthes, Inc- $13,587/AO North America Trauma Resident Research Grant-$5000.
8. AAMC/Pfizer Caring For Community Grant 2001.
9. Principle Investigator - Optimization of C-Arm Positioning To Support Safe Screw Placement in Humeral Head. Stryker 2012 - $39, 954.77
10. Principle Investigator - Mini-Fragment Fixation of Clavicle Fractures: A Biomechanical Study. Synthes 2012 - $74,212
11. Site Co-Investigator Fluid Lavage of Open Wounds (FLOW): A Multi-Center, Blinded, Factorial Trial Comparing Alternative Irrigation Solutions and Pressures in Patients with Open Fractures." US Army Institute of Surgical Research, Orthopaedic Trauma Research Program (OTRP) Grant, $65,925,
12. Co-Investigator – Multi-Center Prospective Study: Operative and Non-Operative
Treatment for Extra-articular Scapula Fractures. University of Minnesota
Projects In Process
1. Principle investigator- Radiographic Evaluation of Clavicle Fractures a Prospective Observational study
2. Principle investigator- Standard wound care versus standard wound care plus shock wave therapy for traumatic wounds of the extremity a prospective randomized trial
3. Co-investigator- Fluid Lavage of Open Wounds (FLOW) study a prospective randomized control trial
4. Principle investigator- Transcollation versus standard electrocautery in acetabular surgery a prospective randomized trial
5. Principle Investigator - Optimization of C-Arm Positioning To Support Safe Screw Placement in Humeral Head. Stryker 2012 - $39, 954.77
6. Principle Investigator - Mini-Fragment Fixation of Clavicle Fractures: A Biomechanical Study. Synthes 2012 - $74,212
7. Co-Investigator – Multi-Center Prospective Study: Operative and Non-Operative
Treatment for Extra-articular Scapula Fractures. University of Minnesota 2010-present.
Attention UAB Physicians
If you are a physician on the UAB medical staff and would like to modify your profile, please e-mail your changes to the program administratorUpdate Profile