Back, Neck & Spine
Pain in the back, neck or spine can be excruciating. But UAB Orthopaedics offers a skilled approach to caring for these sensitive areas. Our physicians are on the cutting edge, offering unsurpassed care in a compassionate environment.
About our Care
Should your spine issues create a need for orthopaedic treatment, UAB Orthopaedics offers a wide array of services to care for you. Whether you need surgical intervention for a disc herniation or treatment for spinal stenosis, our physicians will work with you to ensure you receive the care you need. Additionally, UAB spine specialists are leaders in treating trauma victims, operating within the only Level I trauma facility in the state.
Additionally, patients with disorders of the spine have the benefit of musculoskeletal radiologists in the same clinic, providing skilled x-ray reading and interpretation with state-of-the-art equipment. This collaboration means a more accurate diagnosis and treatment for patients.
UAB Orthopaedics spine subspecialists treat only patients with spine issues of the neck or back, and have decades of experience. Our fellowship-trained subspecialists received advanced training in the treatment of spinal disorders and have devoted their careers to further study and research in that area. In addition, they share their expertise by training other surgeons and by lecturing throughout the United States. As members of national medical societies including the Scoliosis Research Society, the North American Spine Society and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery, our physicians stay on the cutting edge of research and education.
- Herniated disc
- Spinal stenosis
- Nerve disorders
- Spinal deformities
- Trauma to spine
- Neck Pain
- Back Pain
Treatments and Procedures Performed
- UAB spine specialists perform a number of services, including:
- Spinal Trauma – neurologic and orthopaedic
- Diagnosis and management of all of back and neck disorders
- Treatment of various spinal compressive disorders including:
- spinal stenosis
- herniated discs
- Correction of spinal deformities, including:
- Surgical treatments, including:
- Surgical alternatives, including:
- physical therapy for spinal stabilization and sacroiliac joint dysfunction
- Facet, epidural, spinal nerve injections
- UAB spine physicians are the only subspecialists in Birmingham to perform minimally invasive spine surgery through a lateral approach. This approach results in a smaller incision on the side of the body, rather than a large incision on the front of the body. In fact, UAB physicians have trained other physicians in this lateral approach.
- UAB spine physicians are leaders in trauma, caring for more Level I (the highest and most serious level) of trauma patients.
UAB Orthopaedic spine subspecialists see patients in the Orthopaedics Clinic on the 2nd floor of UAB Highlands. To make an appointment, call UAB HealthFinder at 1-800-UAB-8816.
1201 11th Ave. S
Birmingham, AL 35205
Referring physicians should call UAB MIST at 1-800-UAB-MIST (1-800-822-6478) for information.